Monday, February 7, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me

image This week’s worth of blogs is in celebration of my 32nd year. (Actually the start of my 33rd year, but okay math geeks, let’s not squabble). I’ve devoted the week to those things that you need in order to have a super duper party. Even at 32 I’m buying a birthday dress and think that any girl should perhaps take part in this birthday-gift-to-yourself tradition.

Upon my 32nd year, I’m always aware that I’m not where I thought I would be. I’m learning more to take pride in this and continue to find who I am as a creative artist, a worker, and a home owner. I’m striving to try and do new things, take risks where I thought I was unable and even devote myself to being a little different sometimes just to see if it’s a new part of “me” that may stick. Does this mean I spend my days trying to be someone else? No. But it does mean that I get stuck in a rut and realize that a change of direction can be a healthy thing.

That said, I thought I would take the time to recognize a few things 1979 style.clip_image002

  • Yearly Inflation Rate USA 11.2%
  • Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 838
  • Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 15.25%
  • Average Cost of new house $58,100.00
  • Average Income per year $17,500.00
  • Average Monthly Rent $280.00
  • Cost of a gallon of Gas 86 cents
  • Sony Walkman $200.00

The President of the US was Jimmy Carter – a man I only knew to be from Georgia and wear one of those straw barbershop hats in a picture I once saw. Due to crisis in Iran Oil Prices Increase around the world and the public begin panic buying making things worse – which really isn’t much different from now.   Eleven fans are killed and dozens are injured at a WHO Concert at the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio…which is good, because at least the Who are something to die for, as opposed to well, Britney Spears.

VisiCalc becomes the first spreadsheet program – as an avid and expert Excel user, this is a big moment for me. Voyager I photo reveals Jupiter's rings – photographer and space nerd here, this was fantastic to know! YMCA sues the Village People for libel because of their song of the same name – I personally think there’s just jealousy here, I adore that dance, I think they should have embraced it as a commercial!  Trivial Pursuit is launched – something that for years I could never know all the answers to, but definitely lived to play!

Superman The Movie, Rocky II and The Muppet Movie were all popular that year. As was Bee Gees with " Love you Inside Out ", Gloria Gaynor with " I will Survive " and Donna Summer "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls" all made the airwaves. I guess this was telling me to wait around for better music, but given that the 80s weren’t much better…then I’ll stick with my parent’s 45s instead!

So there you go, a little taste of when I was born. Happy birthday to me, and enjoy the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment