Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Why do we call it Swiss?

Swiss Steak

1 lb of thin round steak
1 onion sliced thin
2 green peppers, sliced into strips
1 bottle of chili sauce

Fry steaks in a pan. Add onion and green pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add chili sauce and add water to thin out.

This is another Mom recipe. It must, MUST, be served with canned peas and mashed potatoes. You spoon the sauce over those as well. Most of the time, this meal ends up being a mixed pile on my plate rather than something that is civilized. This is good ol' Northern comfort food.

As a kid I used to sit in the corner of the kitchen and watch my mom cook on a stove that was retro yellow color. It had a light on and as she pan fried the steaks I'd watch her. I still remember the sound of the mixer on the potatoes... it's a good memory of Mom and growing up. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment