Monday, October 4, 2010

Dining Outside

image In an attempt to expand my “foodie-ism”, I thought I would start to include the wonderful restaurants that I’ve been honored enough to get to go to. That said, I’ll do the best I can to “recreate” some of my favorite experiences, but couldn’t start off with a better example than where I was on Friday.

Starter: Butternut Squash Ravioli, sage brown butter, toasted pine nuts, shaved parmesan

2nd: Wild Mushroom Soup, buffalo mozzarella crouton & Roasted Pear, bleu cheese, dried fruit, nuts

Dinner: Veal Chop (done rare) with butternut squash risotto and sautéed broccoli rabe & Rack of Lamb with imageMashed Potatoes & Asparagus

Dessert: Carrot Cake

To Drink: La Spinetta Moscato d’Asti

Backstreet Cafe continues to be one of  my favorite places to dine out. It’s got a porch, a patio, a room, a front room, a bar and an upstairs. It’s an old house, redone. It’s got excellent charm, but the food comes through, which is why I have to tout time and again that this is a great place to go for “no reason at all” and “every reason in the book”.

While the veal chop was ever so “too rare” , I find it hard to find things here that don’t make me squeal with delight. The butternut squash, something I’ve fallen a little “TOO” in love with recently, was fantastic in it’s perfect butter sauce contained in it’s perfectly al dente pasta. The carrot cake lacked just a bit of texture, but this place turns out the best chocolate cake you’ve seen – and not being a chocolate fan, I can attest that it’s a repeatable dish for me.  The sip was perfect, light and crisp for a beginning bottle, made time on the porch a bit more celebratory – kicked off the weekend perfectly.

The roasted pear salad and the wild mushroom soup left me nothing but pleased. The cream soup was not a stitch of heavy and the pear balanced the nut and cheese combination in a way that would make most see saws look out of balance. It was PERFECT. The service, as always, isn’t looming, but doesn’t leave a moment too soon or linger too long. They are accommodating and friendly and I noted several times, knew who their regular clientele were. If I only lived closer!!!

Backstreet Cafe - 713-521-2239 - http://www.backstreetcafe.net/

Rating:

image 

Spoon, Fork AND Knife: Excellent Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment