Friday, October 9, 2009

Poor Man's Cobbler

1 can of crushed pineapple
1 can of cherry pie filling
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 stick of margarine

Grease a deep round casserole dish. Dump pineapple on the bottom, followed by the pie filling and cake mix. Cut butter into pats and dot the top. (Do not mix!). Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until heated through.

This is one of my favorite dessert in the whole world as a kid. It's cheap, it's fast, it's done. It's a sugar rush and super sweet. So I warn you, you gotta be "in the mood" for sweetness when you make it.

I make this for office parties - it works as a sugary side to a good strong cup of coffee just as much as it compliments a dinner at someone's house. It's easy, homey and comfort food-y enough. I've tried it with peaches instead of cherries and fruit cocktail instead of pineapple and spice cake, it's not as fabulous (I'm nostalgic I guess) but it's still different!

Both warm or cold, leftover or right out of the oven, this dessert lasts awhile. A la mode? A la YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment