Monday, September 21, 2009

My Ultimate Comfort Food

Homemade Mac & Cheese

4 Cups Cheddar Cheese
1 Stick of Margarine or Butter
1 Can of Evaporated Milk
1 bag of pasta (small shells preferred)
Splash of Milk

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Turn heat to simmer and add in butter, milk and then stir in cheese until it melts. Toss pasta on top and continue to stir and add milk to adjust until desired consistency is achieved.

That's it. You can read about 1,000 other recipes for macaroni and cheese. You can make bechamel sauce bases until your hearts content. You can stir and whisk and add breadcrumbs and make. Not for me, nope, nuh-uh, ain't gonna do it. This is the easiest version I have come up with entirely on my own, and it works.

This is my go-t0 food. Stressed? Here's comfort in a bowl. For those of you who follow me personally, after the apartment fire, we were at the table eating this and corn dogs. I add pepper to this and on a winter's day with a good movie and a puppy beside me, I can't ask for a better time to relax. It takes minutes and impresses every time.

As an FFG (Former Fat Girl), I used to consume this in quantities that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit to. On the cheat days that I do allow myself, this would be at the top of the list. It's far from dietetic, but it can be leaps and bounds above the blue box stuff.

It's also extremely flexible. I've added bacon, carmelized onions and blue cheese. I've put in artichokes and sundried tomatoes. You like swiss? Try it. I try to keep the cheddar to "other cheese" ratio to half and half, most cheeses just don't melt as nicely. Gruyere is good, a smack of brie, try it. You can't hurt it badly by adding, just make sure that you don't take away the other fats.

Unfortunately this doesn't keep as well. As with anything with this much "love" (known to non-foodies as butters, creams and cheeses) in it, it tends to congeal up into a mess. Will I eat it the next day ? Yes! It makes alot, so assemble a crowd. It's great for Thanksgiving with some of those "fancy breadcrumbs" thrown on top - no one will know you didn't take all day. Roux schmoo, this is easy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment